Taking note of the findings after rough tramming of Z-axis on the Movable Gantry CNC Machine, I decided that the Movable Gantry Z-axis drive mechanism needed a major makeover as there were too many inaccuracies. These inaccuracies came about because firstly, I was using MDF material, and secondly, I was drilling and cutting the parts by hand and somehow it was not accurate enough.

Since I had already made a Movable Bed CNC Machine which I considered sufficiently accurate, I decided to cut the parts for the Movable Gantry CNC Machine using this former machine – letting the machine do the work that it was suited for. This time I would be using plywood, which would be harder than MDF, and would not distort or split when I screwed pieces together.

All the dimensions in the component part designs were drawn in Autocad, which I think was the standard when it comes to engineering design. When translated into G-code and loaded into LinuxCNC machine driving software it was accurate to the nearest 0.0001 mm. In addition, I have calibrated the Movable Bed CNC Machine to be as accurate as I possibly could, with its limitations. So, I felt that using the machine would be much better for fabricating parts rather than relying on the old fashion method of hand cutting and eyeballing.

The video proved the concept was correct.