The previous test was only a simulation, but it was very useful. It served to teach me what to do in order to generate G-codes for the machine.

Well, Christmas was over, but I did managed to have some time to tinker about with the hardware. As I had mentioned in the previous post, there were some problems with the Z-axis that I needed to solve.

After much dismantling, assembling, filing, drilling, gluing, I managed to come out with a solution to the problem. The Z-axis motor had actually been stalling due to having been set at a higher speed. So I configured it again to a lower speed and it worked.

At the same time, I was also finding out how to reduce the latency of my computer. I added in another RAM board which I picked up at the junkyard, and did some tweaking at my computer BIOS to try to reduce the latency. All the while I was looking at forums for Linuxcnc in order to learn and then to figure out what was the best thing that I could try.

In this test, I fixed a pen at the z-axis and used it as a plotter. I did several tests using the pen.

At first, the movable bed of the x-axis was found to be uneven as the pen was touching the paper only on one side. I did managed to test the repeatability of the plotter and it looked alright to me.

In order to even up the movable bed, I cut off and removed some portions of the pages of the magazine which I used as a spoil board. The few pages that I removed did the trick.

Next, I loaded a drawing which I had obtained and which I had generated a G-code to use for the test. Because of the slow speed of the z-axis, I had to manipulate the drawing depth so that I did not have to wait so long to see the result.

At the time of writing, the test for the 3 axis seemed to be working well.